UPPER NORWOOD WAR MEMORIAL ‘LISTED’
The main War Memorial in Westow Street, Upper Norwood has been ‘listed’ by Historic England.
War Memorials in the grounds of All Saints church, Upper Norwood and in the portico of St Luke’s church at West Norwood have also been ‘listed’.
Historic England say the War Memorial at Westow Street, Upper Norwood is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices they made in the First and Second World Wars; * Architectural Interest: a well executed and imposing Portland stone pillar war memorial; * Group value: with the Church of St Andrew (Grade II).
Historic England say: “The aftermath of the World Wars saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country.
“One such memorial was raised in Upper Norwood as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. “It was designed by W B Fagan and unveiled on 29 April 1922 in a ceremony attended by Lord Mayor of London Sir William Treloar, 1st Baronet and Canon W B Taylor.
“An inscription was added after the Second World War for those who fell in that conflict.”
The front face of the Westow Street memorial bears the inscription: TO THE / MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF UPPER / NORWOOD / WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / — / ALSO / COMMEMORATING / ALL THOSE / WHO DIED IN THE / 1939 – 1945 / WAR.
Below this, on the plinth, is the inscription: AS A LASTING MEMORIAL / AN ENDOWMENT FOR THE NORWOOD / COTTAGE HOSPITAL WAS PROVIDED / AND THIS MONUMENT ERECTED. Below this in lower case italic is the (badly eroded) inscription: For their country they died / in its memory they live.
ALL SAINTS WAR MEMORIAL LISTED
The memorial stands in the grounds of the church of All Saints (Grade II), which also contains the tomb of Vice-Admiral Robert Fitzroy (Grade II). It lies in the Church Road, Upper Norwood conservation area.
The War Memorial at the Church of All Saints, Upper Norwood takes the form of a stone Celtic cross on a stepped base. It commemorates those local servicemen who died during the First World Wars. It is acknowledged that the memorial has been moved a short distance but, overall, it is considered that the memorial has special architectural and historical interest and meets the criteria for listing, say Historic England.
ST LUKE’S WEST NORWOOD
The memorial in the church portico is now listed at Grade II.
Further reading: IN REMEMBRANCE (this website)
WAR MEMORIAL OUTSIDE ST JOHN’S CHURCH ‘LISTED’ February 21, 2017 (this website)